A simple and delicious beef salad – juicy aged rump pan seared 2-3 minutes on each side, on a bed of tasty Asian salad with mint and coriander.
Recipe is as follow:
- 1 rump steak, approx 750gm (ask your friendly butcher for a 1.5 inch thick cut), at room temperature
- a little cooking oil (I use olive oil)
- a little sea salt (for rubbing the steak)
- 1/2 common cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, remove skin, julienne
- a handful of bean sprout, washed
- 1/2 cup of mint, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup of coriander, roughly chopped
- 3 tsp fish sauce
- 3 tsp sugar
- 3 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp of lime juice
- 2 tbsp warm water
- a little chili, remove seeds, thinly sliced
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp peanut, roughly chopped, for garnish (optional)
- Mix fish sauce, sesame oil, sugar, lime juice, chili, garlic and warm water in a cup; stir well; leave aside to infuse.
- This can be done in advance and kept in fridge overnight.
- Rub the rump steak with sea salt.
- Bring a frying pan to high heat, add a little oil; sear the steak 2-3 minutes on each side; Remove from heat, leave the steak on the pan, put aside to rest.
- Once the steak is cool, thinly slice into stripes against the grain. Toss the beef in 1/4 of the sauce.
- In a large bowl, mix the vegetables with 3/4 of the sauce; toss well
- Add the beef to the slaw, toss well
- Garnish with op with some chopped peanuts.