- 4 eggs
- 2 tbs soy sauce (use gluten-free soy sauce for a gluten-free option)
- 2 tbs dark soy sauce (use gluten free soy sauce for a gluten free option)
- 1 tbs sugar
- 2 tsp Chinese five-spice powder
- 1 tea bag (black tea)
- salt to taste
1. hard boil 4 eggs from cold water, approximately 8 minutes
2. run the boiled eggs under cold water until cool (or use ice water to chill the eggs)
3. crack the eggshells lightly with a spoon
4. return the eggs to a small pot with a brine made up of tea bag, soy sauce, dark soy sauce, sugar, five spice powder, salt to taste & sufficient water over the eggs
5. Bring the brine to boil, simmer for further 30 minutes then turn off the heat (but leave the pot on the stove so the brine will continue to cook with the residual heat); when the brine cools down, transfer the pot to the fridge for 12-24 hours.
6. the next day, remove the shell and serve.