Chinese slow poached chicken, a hearty and meaty meal and a clear chicken stock for soup.
- a whole chicken, 1.5-2kg
- a few slices of ginger
- salt and pepper to taste (For a FODMAP recipe, use black pepper)
- In a large pot, add boiling water sufficient to submerge the whole chicken; add salt, pepper and a few slices of ginger
- Lay the chicken in the water, breast side up; bring to boil; turn the chicken over with the breast side down, bring to boil; cover with a lid; turn the heat to low, simmer for approximately 1 hour or until the chicken is just cooked – check if the chicken is cook through by inserting a bamboo stick into the thickest parts of the chicken. If the juice coming out is clear, then the chicken is cooked; You may need to turn the chicken over once or twice to make sure it is cooked evenly on both side.
- Take the chicken out of the pot to cool; then pull the meat off and shred the meat by hand; discard the bones
- Retain the liquid as stock
Check out recipes with poached whole chicken
Poached chicken with shallot oil and oyster sauce, green shallot
TangYuan dumpling soup with pulled chicken, dried shrimps, mushrooms, bok choy and garlic chive
Slow poached whole chicken with ginger and vinegar sauce (FODMAP friendly)