Chinese slow poached chicken, a hearty and meaty meal and a clear chicken stock for soup.
- a whole chicken, 1.5-2kg
- a few slices of ginger
- salt and pepper to taste (For a FODMAP recipe, use black pepper)
- In a large pot, add boiling water sufficient to submerge the whole chicken; add salt, pepper and a few slices of ginger
- Lay the chicken in the water, breast side up; bring to boil; turn the chicken over with the breast side down, bring to boil; cover with a lid; turn the heat to low, simmer for approximately 1 hour or until the chicken is just cooked – check if the chicken is cook through by inserting a bamboo stick into the thickest parts of the chicken. If the juice coming out is clear, then the chicken is cooked; You may need to turn the chicken over once or twice to make sure it is cooked evenly on both side.
- Take the chicken out of the pot to cool; then pull the meat off and shred the meat by hand; discard the bones
- Retain the liquid as stock