I have worked in the finance sector for a very long time. In the good old days we enjoyed many extravagant lunches and dinners, Rockpool, Tetsuya, you name it. Nowadays things are quite different, but occasionally we still attend client lunches & dinners. Last week we visited Kitchen by Mike at Bent Street. I was impressed with the rice pudding – heavenly creamy with a subtle vanilla and cinnamon flavor.
I was determined to have a go – I used arborio rice, coconut milk and bananas. This pudding is dairy free & gentle on your tummy.
Recipe is as follow:
(Serves 6 as a low FODMAP recipe)
- 1 cup short grain rice (I used Arborio rice)
- 1 stick of cinnamon
- 3 tbsp white sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 3 firm sugar bananas, sliced
- 400 ml coconut milk (from can)
- 2 tsp corn flour, mixed with 2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2.5 cup of water
- Cook the rice with 2 cup of water, a stick of cinnamon in a rice cooker.
- Cook 1 sugar banana with a little water in the microwave, covered, on high setting for 3 minutes; roughly mashed.
- Transfer the cooked rice to a saucepan; add coconut milk, cooked banana, white sugar, vanilla & 1/2 cup of water, bring it to simmer for 5 minutes; stir frequently; add corn flour mixture, continue to simmer and stir for another 5 minutes.
- Put the remaining banana slices on a piece of foil, place the foil on top of a tray; sprinkle brown sugar over the banana; grill under a hot grill for approx 3-4 minutes or until the sugar starting to caramelize.
- Serve the pudding warm or chilled, sprinkled with ground cinnamon, add slices of banana on top.
FODMAP diet check list
|Ingredient||Quantity used in this recipe||Monash University recommended serving size||Implied serving|
|Short grain rice||1 cup uncooked, equivalent to 3 cups cooked||White rice 1 cup cooked||3|
|Cinnamon stick||1 stick – used only for flavor, not for direct consumption||1 tsp cinnamon, grounded||n/a|
|Ground cinnamon||1 tsp||1 tsp||1|
|White sugar||3 tbsp.||1 tbsp.||3|
|Vanilla essence||2 tsp||1 tbsp.||0.7|
|Banana||3 firm medium sugar bananas, approx. 330 g in total||Firm sugar banana – 112 g, or
Ripe sugar banana – 56 g, or
Firm common banana – 56 g, or
Ripe common banana – 33 g
|Brown sugar||1 tbsp.||1 tbsp.||1|
|Coconut milk, from can||400 ml||80 g||5|
|Corn flour||2 tsp||100 g||n/a|
Data last updated on 30 June 2017