The sushi terrine with short grain rice, sauté pumpkin with cumin, sauté carrot with turmeric, and sauté capsicum with garam masala. Sesame seeds were added for extra flavor. The ingredients are layered in a terrine pan, and wrapped with seaweed sheets.
(Makes 8 pieces, serves 4 as a FODMAP recipe)
- 1 carrot, approximately 80g, julienne
- 1 capsicum, approximately 120g, diced
- 200g of Jap pumpkin, julienne or diced
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 3 tsp sesame seed, toasted
- 4 cup of cooked & cooled sushi rice (short grain rice), mixed with 2tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 nori sheet
- salt and black pepper to taste
- cooking oil
- 2 tbsp. light soy sauce as dipping sauce (optional, use a gluten-free soy sauce for a gluten-free option)
- Lightly saute carrot with a little cooking oil, add salt, pepper, 1 tsp sesame seed and turmeric; approximately 3 minutes or until the carrot is just soft; set aside to cool
- Lightly saute capsicum with a little cooking oil, add salt, pepper, 1 tsp sesame seeds and garam masala; approximate 3 minutes or until the capsicum is just soft; set aside to cool.
- Saute pumpkin with a little cooking oil, add salt, pepper, 1 tsp sesame seed and cumin; approximately 5-8 minutes or until the pumpkin is just soft; set aside to cool.
- Line a small terrine pan with cling wrap with plenty of excess hanging out on both side; add a layer of rice, then a layer of vegetable; followed by a layer of rice, then a layer of vegetable; and repeat with another layer of rice, and another layer of vegetable; Top the terrine with a final layer of rice; press down firmly and cover with cling wrap; leave it in fridge for at lease 30 minutes to firm.
- Remove the terrine from fridge, press firmly again before removing the terrine from the pan; remove the cling wrap; line the terrine with 2 nori sheets lengthwise; wrap the terrine with cling wrap; leave it in fridge for another 30 minutes for the nori sheet to ‘hug’ the terrine before cutting.
- To cut the terrine, best to cut with the cling wrap, then remove the cling wrap after cutting. This will ensure the terrine pieces are neat and tidy. I use a laser knife for cutting. I wet the knife before each cut.
- Serve with light soy sauce (gluten free soy sauce for a GF option).