This week I gathered a few limes from the garden. I have always struggled with my lime trees – lot of flowers but rarely bear any fruit. So my three little lime fruit this year were rather precious. I made a fruit compote with banana, lime, orange and cardamom.
Delicious for breakfast, served on toast – just not enough of it. Hope my lime trees will be kind to me next year.
Recipe is as follows:
(Serves 3 as a FODMAP friendly recipe)
- 1 lime, skin on, finely diced, remove pips , reserve any juice
- 1 large orange, peeled, diced remove pips, reserve any juice
- 1 large firm sugar banana, roughly diced
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 3 cardamom pods, split and take out the small seeds.
- Place lime and orange in a shallow bowl with any juice, add a little water otherwise; cover and cook in a microwave on high for 3 minutes until steaming hot; leave aside to cool slightly; add banana pieces, stir and cook for another 2 minutes; leave aside to cool slightly.
- Transfer the fruits into a small saucepan; add sugar and cardamom seeds; simmer for 45 minutes on very low heat; leave aside to cool; refrigerate overnight.
FODMAP diet check list
Easy banana, lime, orange and cardamom compote (FODMAP friendly, gluten free, vegan)
|Ingredient||Quantity used in this recipe||Monash University recommended serving size||Implied serving|
|Lime||1 medium||Whole limes were not tested by Monash University. Monash University tested lime juice and recommended a serving size of 1 teaspoon; the juice contains only trace amounts of FODMAPs.||n/a|
|Orange||1 large (180g)||1 medium (navel orange), 130g||1.4|
|Banana||1 medium (112g) sugar banana, firm||1 firm sugar banana – 112g, or
½ ripe sugar banana – 56g, or
1/3 common banana, ripe – 33g
|Sugar||2 tbsp.||1 tbsp.||2|
|Seeds in 3 cardamom pods||¼ tsp||1 tsp||1|
Data last updated on 30 June 2017