Friends brought over 2 green mangoes from their tree. Reportedly the husband was injured trying to catch a mango falling off the tree. It bounced off his hands and hit him where it really hurt. So I made them a mango salad as a reward for the efforts.
The dish is very simple, mango, carrot and prawns pickled in a fish sauce, apple cider vinegar and sugar, mixed with coriander, green shallot and sesame oil and sesame seeds.
- 1 green mango, skin peeled and julienne
- 1 large carrot, skin peeled and julienne
- 6-8 large green prawns, peeled and de-vained (I used wild caught Australian green prawns)
- 1/2 cup of chopped coriander
- 1 tbsp. of green shallot, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
- 2/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp. fish sauce
- 1 tbsp. sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
Bring a pot of water to boil; add prawns, turn off the heat and let the prawns cooked gently; approx 3 minutes or until the prawns are cooked; take out the prawns and rinse prawns under tap water to cool.
Mix caster sugar, apple cider vinegar, fish sauce; add green mango, carrot and prawns; add sufficient water to cover the ingredients; leave it in fridge for 2-3 hours.
After 2-3 hours, drain off the liquid; mix in green shallot, coriander, sesame seeds and sesame oil; transfer to a plate to serve.