Our friends had a 20 year anniversary getaway at South Australia for a few days. We looked after their child and dog while they were away. It was easy as their beautiful son is our little boy’s best friend. Their gorgeous cavalier is the best friend of our cavoodle.
When they were back they brought us a nice bottle of white balsamic vinegar they picked up from a market at the Barossa Valley. So I made a fusion potato salad with it.
This salad used blanched potato flavored with turmeric, coriander seeds and cardamon, a mild Sichuan style pepper-chili-garlic infused oil, sesame oil, white balsamic, pickled carrot, sliced wood ear fungus, sliced capsicum, sesame, shallot and coriander.
Recipe is as follows:
Pepper-chili infused oil
- 1-2 tsp Sichuan pepper corn, lightly crashed
- 1-2 tsp chili flake
- 1-2 clove of garlic, minced
- 2-3 tbsp cooking oil
Heat up the cooking oil in a saucepan; once the oil is very hot, add pepper; remove the saucepan from heat, add chili flake and garlic; leave aside to infuse and cool.
Just before use, pour the oil through a sieve to remove the solids. You can use as much or as little oil as you please.
- 1 small carrot, skin peeled & julienne
- 1/3 cup of caster sugar
- 2/3 cup of rice wine vinegar
- warm water
In a glass container, mix caster sugar and rice wine vinegar, add a little warm water to help dissolve the sugar; add carrot, top with more water to cover the carrot completed; leave in fridge to pickle for 60 minutes or longer.
Just before use, pour the carrot into a sieve to remove excess marinate.
- 3 medium potatoes, skin peeled and julienne
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- 5 cardamon pod, lightly break the pod
- 1/2 tsp coriander seeds, lightly crashed (the seeds need to be intact, otherwise difficult to remove from the potato later)
- salt to taste
Bring a pot of water to boil, add cardamon, coriander seeds, boil for a few minutes; add potato and turmeric, bring to boil; continue to boil for 1-2 more minutes or until the potato is just cooked (barely); remove from heat and rinse under cold water to cool the potato; remove the spices; leave the potato in fridge to chili for at lease 60 minutes.
2 small wood ears, hydrated in hot water for 20 minutes; blanch in boiling water for a few minutes; rinse under cold water to cool; thinly slice the wood ears; leave in fridge for at lease 60 minutes.
- 1/2 capsicum, cleaned, and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup of coriander, thinly chopped
- 1/4 cup of green shallot (scallion), thinly sliced
- 1 small mild fresh chili, remove seeds, sliced (optional)
- 3-4 tbp white balsamic vinegar (depending on the strength of the vinegar)
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds, lightly tossed
Mix all ingredients, season with salt and add some minced garlic if desired. Serve chilled.