There was a children’s book I used to read to my little boy, called “The Tiger Who Came To Tea”. A tiger went to Sophie house and ate their dinner. So the dad took Sophie and her mum out to a cafe. They had a lovely supper with sausages, chips and ice cream.
‘How could sausages be lovely?’ I asked myself. Having lived in Australia for 30 years, I am yet to develop a taste for sausages. The trouble is, my husband loves sausages.
So here is my version of sausages, diced, brown with onion and capsicum, spiced with garam, turmeric and mustard oil, cooked with Basmati rice as a one-pot meal.
Method is as follows:
- 6 pork sausages, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1/2 red capsicum, sliced
- a couple handful of frozen peas
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- a little chili flake (optional)
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- a dash of mustard oil
- 1 cup of Basmati rice (or any type of rice you like to use) + 2 cup of water
- salt to taste
- a little cooking oil
- a little toasted black sesame seeds, to garnish