When I was growing up in China, tofu was the cheapest protein and it was always plentiful. At the fresh food market they sold tofu on a large timber slab, carefully cutting out the required portion for each customer – 10 cents, 20 cents…
My grandmother loved pan frying tofu with load of cooking oil. She cut the tofu into little triangles then fried them until golden brown. She then finished cooking with a splash of soy sauce. What a mouth watering aroma!
Tonight I pan fried some tofu with soy sauce for dinner – the tofu was soft and heart warming.
* Use plain tofu for a FODMAP friendly recipe; use gluten free soy sauce for a gluten free option.
It was so easy to make:
- cut the tofu into triangles
- dust the triangles with corn flour and a little salt and pepper
- pan fry the tofu in hot cooking oil until golden brown; once done, transfer the tofu pieces to a plate
- mix a little corn flour, a little water and some dark soy sauce; then poured the mixture into the frying pan; on low heat, cook while stirring until the sauce thicken
- return the tofu to the frying pan; gently toss; ready to serve
- garnish with some saute green vegetables, if desired.