Prosperity Toss is unique for Malaysian and Singaporean Chinese. During Chinese New Year, this elaborate salad with sashimi salmon and tuna is tossed with chopsticks by the whole family for a great new year with plenty and prosperity.
The dish is called yee-sang. In Chinese, ‘yee’ means fish, a symbol of abundance. ‘Sang’ means reborn and lively. ‘Sang’ also shares the same pronunciation as 升, means promotion and enhancement. With a name like that, no wonder ‘yee sang’ is one of the most popular dish for Chinese New Year around Singapore and Malaysia.
- 80g carrot, julienne or shredded into curls
- 30g alfalfa
- 80g cucumber, sliced
- 80g fennel bulbs, sliced
- 50g lettuce, cut into small pieces
- 200g sashimi quality tuna
- 200g sashimi quality salmon
- 1 tbsp. sesame oil
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tbsp. rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 2 tbsp. warm water
- To make the dressing, mix all ingredients
- To make the salad, arrange all ingredients on a large plate
- To serve, toss the salad and dressing with chopsticks (together by the whole family); make wishes as you mix.