Nasi kuning is an Indonesian rice dish cooked with coconut milk and turmeric. If you have a rice cooker, my ‘relaxed’ version of fried rice with ready made nasi kuning paste is easy and delicious.
Method is as follow:
- 2 cup of uncooked rice
- 2 slices of ginger
- Homemade turmeric paste
- 3 tbsp of desiccated coconut
- 150g chicken mince or small pieces
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup of frozen peas, briefly cooked
- 1 chili, sliced
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp fried shallot (picture below)
- Cooking oil
- Kaffir lime leave, deveined, very thinly sliced, to garnish (optional)
Homemade turmeric paste
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ginger, minced
- 2 bay leave
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp finely minced lemongrass
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
Heat up some ooking oil in a frying pan, add onion, ginger, bay leave and lemongrass, sauté for 3-5 minutes, add garlic, turmeric and salt, sauté briefly, remove from heat to cool
- Cook the rice with the ginger.
- Add cooking oil to a frying pan, scramble the eggs; break the scramble eggs into small pieces
- Heat up cooking oil in a frying pan; add chicken mince and stir fry until mostly cooked; add turmeric paste; stir fry until the chicken is cooked; add rice, peas and sesame oil, stir fry briefly; add desiccated coconut and mix well ; stir in the sliced chili.
- Transfer to a serving plate, garnish with sliced kaffir lime leave and fried shallot.