When I was growing up in China, tofu was the cheapest protein and it was always plentiful. At the fresh food market they sold tofu on a large timber slab, carefully cutting out the squares for each customer.
As the cooking oil was rationed, as a special treat my grandmother would pan fry the tofu to golden brown with load of oil – what a mouth watering aroma!
- 4 square of plain tofu, cut into thin triangles
- a handful of green beans, trimmed and diced
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp corn flour, mixed with 2 tbsp water
- cooking oil
- Mix the oyster sauce with the corn flour mixture and sesame oil
- In a frying pan, heat up some cooking oil, stir fry the green beans until nearly cooked; transfer to a place
- In a frying pan, heat up some cooking oil, pan fry the tofu until golden brown, add the oyster sauce mixture, cook briefly gently; add green beans, mix well; ready to serve