Sometime we just want a quick and no fuss meal, something easy, hearty and delicious. Noodles fit into this category nicely.
I often have a few packs of udon noodles in the pantry. I found udon noodles have the right texture once boiled, perfect for tossing in a frying pan for a quick stir fry. Cloud ears (Chinese black fungus) is another vegetable that I often stock up. Once re-hydrated, it is so quick to cook and refreshingly crunchy. We also love cabbage for its sweetness and longevity in the fridge.
This cloud ear, beef and vegetable noodle dish takes about 20-30 minutes to make. It is flavored with oyster sauce and dark soy sauce. I added plenty of sesame seeds for extra flavor.
Recipe is as follow:
- 100g beef, sliced
- A small handful of small black cloud ears, approximately 10-15
- 150g Udon noodles
- 100g cabbage, sliced
- 2 tsp sesame seeds, toasted
- 3 tsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp mushroom dark soy sauce
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- a little cooking oil
- Soak cloud ears in hot water for approximately 10 minutes; then rinse under cold water; drain off the liquid; split the cloud ear in halves.
- Boil udon noodles until just cooked, approximately 8 minutes; rinse under cold water using a colander; drain off liquid; In a mixing bowl, add noodles, sesame oil and mushroom dark soy sauce, mix well.
- In a frying pan, bring a little cooking oil to medium heat; add beef and 1 tsp oyster sauce; stir fry until just cooked; remove from frying pan and set aside.
- In a clean frying pan, add a little more cooking oil, add cabbage, stir fry on medium heat until the cabbage is just tender, add a little water if necessary; add cloud ear and 2 tsp oyster sauce, stir fry for a few minutes; add beef, mix well; add noodles, mix well; add sesame seeds, toss.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.