Cantonese love soups.
There are soups for every weather condition, every season and very occasion. There are soups to warm your body, or to cool your temper. The key to a good soup is to balance all the ingredients for maximum nurturing effect. Snow fungus with goji and chicken is one of these well-balanced soups that can rejuvenate your mind and soul.
Snow fungus, also known as the silver fungus, is sometimes recognized as the champion of all fungus. Historically it was used by the royals and rich families as a remedy to boost their health, with supposedly nurturing effects for internal organs, skin and brain, as well as anti-inflammatory and anti-tumor effects.
Goji berries as a herbal remedy, was documented in various ancient Chinese medicine compendiums dated as early as the 1500’s. Today, it is a common Chinese ingredient with supposedly positive effects on liver, kidney, sore back, joints, tiredness and poor eye sight. Families use it frequently in soups and teas.
Sounds like a magic, doesn’t it. The soup is warm, gentle and comforting. Hope you will like it.
Easy method is as follows:
- 2-3 pieces of chicken thigh/breast fillets, approx 250g
- 1 flower of snow fungus
- 1 tbsp goji berries
- 3 Chinese red dates, pits removed (optional)
- salt to taste
- Soak snow fungus in warm water for 10 minutes; remove the stem and break up into small pieces
- In a pot with a heavy base, place all ingredients and add hot water; bring to boil; then simmer (with a lid on) with very low heat for about 2-3 hours. (I like to use my Tiger magic cooker for this soup – once the soup is boiling, I place the pot into the insulated outer pot and close the lid; the soup’s own heat cooks itself over the next 2-3 hours. I bring it to boil again just before serving).
- Before serving, add salt to taste.