I learned about flan when I was working as a waitress in an Asian restaurant during my university days. I have to say, my flan is so much better than that restaurant’s.
Recipe is as follow:
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk (approx 400g)^
- 1 cup coconut milk ^
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 4 eggs, and 4 egg yolks, very lightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp orange zest
^check all labels for a gluten free option
- Put sugar in a sauce pan over medium heat, cook gently until the sugar turns golden brown.
- Run the hot caramel over the edge of a 9-10″ round cake tin to coat the bottom & side of the tin. Cool for 10 minutes.
- Mix the condensed milk, coconut milk, heavy cream, vanilla extract & orange zest in a mixer, gently on low speed; Add eggs gradually. Pour the mixture in the coated cake tin.
- Put the cake tin in a baking dish; Fill the baking dish with warm water, half way up the cake tin; cover tins with foil
- Bake in a preheated oven at 160c for approx. 50-60 minutes; Take the cake tin out of the baking dish for it to cool.
- Refrigerate for a minimum of 6 hours before serving;
- To serve, I like to run a silicon spatula around the edge of the cake tin; tightly press a serving plate over the cake tin, before tip the cake tin up side down.