If you like flavorsome, juicy & tender poached chicken, you should try this recipe with Chinese rice wine. So simple and no recipe required.
How to poach chicken
- Whole chicken or whole chicken fillet
- a few slices of ginger
- a few green shallot, roughly cut
- Salt and white peppers
- If a whole chicken is used, slice along the skin where the legs join the belly; also slice the skin where the wings join the breast. This is to help for meat to cook more evenly.
- In a heavy based saucepan, bring a pot of water to boil
- Put in chicken (make sure it is fully submerged), ginger, shallot salt and pepper; bring the water back to a gentle boil; turn the heat off and cover the saucepan with a lid; the hot water will poach the chicken
- After 30 minutes, insert a skewer into the thickest part of the chicken; if the juice is clear, the chicken is cooked.
- If the chicken is not fully cooked, bring the chicken and water back to a gentle boil again, repeat the process by cover the saucepan with a lid, remove from heat for the hot water to continue to poach the chicken; check every 15 minutes.
- Chicken thigh fillet takes 15-20 minutes, chicken breast fillet takes 30-40 minutes, whole chicken take approximately 1-1.5 hours depending on the size.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of the chicken broth
Dressing the chicken – Chinese rice wine
- 1/2 cup Chinese wine
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 cup of green shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- Salt to taste
- Mix the Chinese wine, light soy sauce and sesame oil
- Hand pull or slice the chicken into strips; place the chicken on a serving plate
- Pour the sauce cover the chicken pieces (if you leave the chicken in the fridge to chill for a few hours, the flavor will further develop).
- Place the green shallot in a heat proof bowl; heat up 2 tbsp. of cooking oil in a frying pan; once the oil is sizzling hot, pour the oil over the green shallot; add salt to taste
- Place the green shallot on top of the chicken