Winter is finally here with chill in the air – time for a nice bowl of hot soup. This simple & light barramundi broth is gentle and tasty, perfect for a lazy lunch.
Recipe is as follow:
(Serves 4 as a low FODMAP recipe)
- 2 small inexpensive whole fish, for example leather jackets, approx 500g, cleaned & cut into chunky pieces
- 1 small piece of ginger, approx 5g, cut in half
- 1 small stalk of fresh turmeric, approx 5g, cut in small pieces
- 1 small lemongrass stalk, approx 10g
- 8 cup FODMAP friendly chicken stock (plain stock made with chicken bones)
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 chili, sliced (optional)
- salt to taste
- 12 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 250g boneless barramundi fillet, cut into chunky pieces
- some chopped coriander, to garnish, optional
Fish stock – bring chicken stock to boil in a pot, add the inexpensive fish pieces, ginger, turmeric, lemongrass; simmer for 30 minutes; reserve the liquid, discard the solids.
Return the fish stock to a sauce pan, bring to boil; add fish sauce, lime juice, chili, sesame oil & salt to taste; turn the heat to low, add barramundi pieces, gently poach for 3-5 minutes or until just cooked; remove the barramundi from the soup base so the fish won’t be overcooked.
In a bowl, add some cherry tomatoes and some barramundi pieces; top with some hot soup; garnish with coriander.